Art and I

My name is Lillian.  I am a born and bred Alaskan who calls this home but can't wait to leave come January and February.  Sadly, I do not appreciate the cold and dark.  Summer is my time of year.  The blessing of abundance we have here is unmatched and I try to utilize all that we have by filling the freezer with meat and fish, garden veggies and gallons and gallons of blueberries.  No, I will not tell you where my secret spot is.
I believe art surrounds everything we do, from how dinner is served to the clothing we wear to conversations at work.  Art is the expression of how we live and the joy in seeing the beauty in it.  Art is such a large word.  It encorporates setting, feeling, relationship, conversation, structure and vision.  No, I am not a "traditional" artist.  I cannot draw worth beans.  I don't write, definately do not paint and by no means am I any sort of art critic or interpretor or really have any knowledge of art history, structure or style.  But I do want to and like to create.  I want to create good conversation, a comfortable and welcoming home, experiences with friends, memories and stories.  Things that can be shared and enjoyed by and with others.  That is still art.
But I do also knit and bake beautiful sourdough bread, just please don't ask me to draw something.  I promise you will be disappointed!


This is art I find inspiring.  No, not this as a picture.  This as a garden that can be touched, felt, sat in, heard, smelled... This is art I admire.  This is art that encorporates all the senses, changes daily, requires thought as to how it will look today, next month, in each season and years from now.  How will the timing of each  flower change the picture? Structure incorporated with wild and free, textures and smells... I am in awe of art created with nature that grows and changes and moves.  

Below is a link to a PBS video trying to define what is art:


Comments

  1. I did 40+ Alaskan winters. I don't do them anymore. I love Alaskan summers. I have several friends that could create fabulous landscapes with flowers in Alaska. Such beauty. Unfortunately one of them has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little jealous of anyone with a green thumb. The only thing from nature that seems to thrive under my supervision is the brush near the tree line at the edge of my yard. That said, I enjoy imagining I can plant and grow things, and one of my wife and I's favorite things to do in the spring is visit the local garden centers and pretend we know what we're about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in Alaska is very difficult! I have been here for my entire life. I have always wanted to leave, but recently visited Tennessee only to find out that there are tons of freaky bugs there. Suddenly, I don't mind the winters as much.

    I love how you chose flower gardens as your art piece. You described them in a very beautiful poetic manner too. If I end up moving out of Alaska someday, I would love to have a garden like the one in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lillian

    To begin with, I wanted to give you my thanks for sharing this work with us. I highly enjoyed reading this blog and appreciate the effort that was put into it. Although, I would like it even more if you let slip just where you get all your blueberries from! I couldn't agree more with your preference for art that makes you feel as if you were actually there. I believe that whenever an artist truly and fully draws you into a piece, they have succeeded on all levels of the artistic process. This can happen across all disciplines: photography, film, music, sculpting, painting, writing, and is special each and every time it happens. Overall, great blog and I can’t wait to see what you will do going forward.

    Vaughan

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so interesting that you are a fan of summer-i prefer fall/beginning of winter because i hate the heat. however, i am also trying to get into gardening and so far everything looks great so i hope yours does great too! also i love your art piece-a garden i would love to have someday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Women Fight Back!

Our Lady